• 3 pounds boned shell of beaf (1.350 g), to yield 1 1/2 pounds after trimming (675 g)
• 1 recipe Carpaccio Sauce
Trim every bit of fat, sinew, or gristle from the boned shell, leaving a small cylinder of tender meat.
Chill the meat well. Using a razor-sharp knife, slice the meat paper-thin.
Arrange the slices of meat on 6 salad plates to cover the surface completely.
Drizzle the sauce decoratively over the meat in ribbons.
(makes about 21/2 cups – 625 ml)
• 1 cup olive oil (60 ml)
• h/a cup minced onion (60 ml)
• 1 28-ounce can crushed Italian plum tomatoes or whole tomatoes, chopped, with juices (800 g)
• salt• freshly ground pepper
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil leaves
Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
Add the onion and cook it, stirring frequently until it is wilted ( about 4 minutes). Add the tomatoes, salt, pepper and bay leaf and heat to boiling.
Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for about 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
Stir in the chopped basil and simmer for 5 minutes longer.
Strain the mixture through a colander set over a bowl.